Trestle is accepting applications for a Curator-in-Residence (CIR). The CIR program aims to facilitate events and exhibitions that activate the local community while encouraging artists and curators to challenge themselves and viewers.
Supported by Trestle Art Space and Trestle Gallery, the CIR program offers an opportunity for curators and artists-as-curators to develop and expand the scope of their practice through an exhibition series. The CIR will have 24/7 access to the exhibition space, a small office, a communal kitchen, Wi-Fi and air conditioning. The CIR will also receive administrative support. (Note: this opportunity does not include housing).
Trestle's primary aim is to foster creativity by expanding opportunities and providing exposure for contemporary artists and curators.
Expectations of the CIR:
- Solicit and select artists for 4-6 exhibitions
- Oversee the planning, budgeting and installation for each exhibition
- Administer contracts, schedules and budgets in collaboration with Brooklyn Art Space and Trestle staff
- Attend opening receptions
- Work within Trestle’s mission while bringing a unique curatorial vision to the program
- Convey key messages about artists' work and CIR exhibitions to Trestle staff for media materials
- Maintain scheduled office/gallery hours (schedule is very flexible)
- This opportunity is best suited toward those with experience organizing and installing visual art exhibitions
- Awareness of contemporary arts issues, practices and artists
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Ability to organize and communicate messages effectively through writing and public presentation
- Ability to manage exhibition budgets
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Contact information (name, email, address, telephone, and website, if applicable)
- Name, email, and telephone number of two professional references
- Professional resume
- Curatorial statement and/or vision for Curator-in-Residence program (250-500 words)
- Writing sample (250-500 words)
Click here to proceed to application.